Camping In Race Is Great. Race Is Designed For Slayer

For any topics related to Halo.

Moderator: {BK}_DD

Milkweed
Forum Member

Camping In Race Is Great. Race Is Designed For Slayer

Post#1 » Sat 24 Sep 2022, 02:35

I am making this thread since many of you take the absurd "This Is A Race Only Server" position. Here I am dismantling that flawed view:

(1)- Why do players immediately kill each other when spawning in close proximity at the start of a game? The answer is essentially that it gives them a better chance to win. If you don't get kills you will get killed and the enemy will get vehicles first. So already in the start of most games an element of slayer is necessary. This alone defeats the idea that this is a "purely race only server". If you are in favor of vehicle gunners slaying and initial spawn slaying, why are you not okay with camping style slayer? It is contradictory. Refer to point number 3 below for more on why.

(2)- Why do we spawn with grenades and a shotgun and assault rifle? That is slayer gear. If the server philosophy was "race only" as many of you think it is, we would spawn with less effective weapons and no grenades. Perhaps higher shields. Or the inability to get kills. Other race servers have these settings that make killing on foot impractical or impossible. Even many of those servers are not pure race servers because they allow gunner kills.

(3)- Winning the game consists of 2 elements: Acquiring laps and denying laps. Any form of slayer can contribute to both of those. Whether it be camping or moving kills. It usually contributes more to denial. Consider this scenario: Both teams have 9 laps, but the enemy is only 1 checkpoint away from finishing and your team has many more. Obviously your enemy will win if you don't interfere with slayer. That might be with one of your gunners, but they may not be at an angle to kill the winning vehicle. However, you are near the winning checkpoint on foot. If you can kill the winning vehicle you will give your team a chance to win. Simple case where slayer is necessary to win. Camping would often be the most effective play here even if you have a vehicle near you. Getting into a gunner seat alone makes you an easy target for the gunner of the winning vehicle. Hiding behind a structure and using your grenades when the winning vehicle is nearby is likely going to be the more effective choice. There are many more examples that could be made.

So in conclusion, the race server is not designed as a "pure race" server. Both through the game settings and the written rules. Simple measures could be taken to make it so, but they are not. A pure race server would be vehicles with no gunning ability and little to no ability to get any kind of kills.

I am in favor of allowing camping kills with 0 laps because it adds depth to the game and removes the situations where you are forced to play in a suboptimal way that sabotages your winning chances if you haven't scored a lap yet, such as what would happen if in a scenario similar to the one described in point number 3. It would also remove those difficult administration decisions in a gray area consisting of "Is that technically camping or not?" However I do understand why this compromise was made.

Many of you are frustrated with effective campers. The solution is to either request a rule change and stop playing, or to get more effective at the game. Get better at driving. Get better at gunning. And get better at camping. And stop trying to pretend that the server is purely race, as that fallacy is now dismantled.

Regards,
Milkweed

{BK}Barba
Expert Admin

Re: Camping In Race Is Great. Race Is Designed For Slayer

Post#2 » Sat 24 Sep 2022, 11:19

you guys have very similar writing style

ImageImage

{BK}Kaiser
Advanced Admin

Post#3 » Sat 24 Sep 2022, 11:51

because killing while camping ruins the experience of other players, if you want to kill while camping better go to another server with the slayer config, such as Bk lead 0
{BK}Kaiser

Milkweed
Forum Member

Post#4 » Sun 25 Sep 2022, 03:57

Kaiser wrote:because killing while camping ruins the experience of other players, if you want to kill while camping better go to another server with the slayer config, such as Bk lead 0

Kvashpara already thoroughly explained why your position is silly. You also didn't address any of the 3 points I made. Why is it that a skilled gunner isn't considered to be ruining the experience of other players, but a skilled camper is? They both accomplish the same goal of denying enemy laps and opening up the field for their team to more easily and quickly complete laps.

Why would I go to another server when I can kill while camping within the rules? I usually don't like to play on the BK lead 0 server because it is a deviation of genuine slayer, similar to how some people want the Race server to be watered down to some impractical ideal. Sniper spawns with no grenades and no power ups make the movement very stagnant. People seem to mistakenly think these are "pro" settings. The ability for every player to potentially kill someone instantly from any distance punishes players who enjoy the element of map movement like myself, because it is often too disadvantageous to move into an area where many new angles can make you a target for scoped players who aren't moving. And there are no grenades to temporarily force movement on players. It can still be fun sometimes. As can infinite rocket games. My preference is usually default slayer and objective gametypes on medium and small sized maps. The Halo 1.5 maps are great too. Unfortunately servers that have those gametypes and maps are rarely populated. Race is a good gametype that is almost always populated for the reasons Kvashpara stated.

Return to “General Topics”