Camping and other rules

Moderators: {BK}_DD, proshooter001

Chachamara
Forum Member

Camping and other rules

Post#1 » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 01:45

Regarding this post by Legend996:
Legend996 wrote:... We are currently discussing a possible big change to the server, and that is to disable Warthog gunner seats if there is no driver in them. That would solve most of the camping there is on the server, meaning you could only access a warthog turret if there is a driver in it.

Just wanted to say I think this is an excellent idea, but it will probably be received poorly by most players.

I think this server's relaxed rules are a big reason why it's one of the most popular race servers. My experience has been that a lot of race servers implement a broad "no slaying" rule (with specific exceptions like when you're a passenger in a warthog, or when you're hijacking a vehicle). As much as I enjoy that this puts the focus of the game on the actual racing, it's very time consuming to moderate, and can be frustrating or confusing to newcomers.

In contrast, a "no camping" rule is much simpler both for players and moderators, and this warthog change would be a great way to mitigate the worst offenders without any additional moderation. However, thinking about this has made me realize that I don't even know whether such a rule is already in place on this server... Or any rules at all. The MOTD doesn't mention them, and typing /rules just tells me that I don't have permission to use that command. There aren't even any rules listed on this sub-board. When joining a game the server mentions aimbotting and high ping will get you kicked, but even this is difficult to notice as there is so much text flying by at once.

My point is, as much as I support the possibility of gameplay changes to mitigate camping, I think it would be prudent to formally introduce a "no camping" rule first, and clarify what the server's rules are in general. Maybe a small blurb for /rules, or the MOTD? This likely wouldn't make any difference to the behaviour of trolls, but it would set a clear precedent. That way, changes such as the one mentioned by Legend996 wouldn't seem so abrupt. And I've always felt that rules make a server seem much more professional, which could encourage potential members.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear anyone else's thoughts on whether camping is a problem, or if the server's rules are prominent enough.

Return to “Race_Taxi ❕ 104.153.105.98:2443”